Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Sopapilla story (And Sopapilla cream cheese bar recipe)!


The first time I tasted a version of this delectable dessert I was at a ladies brunch at my Church. After asking a few questions and doing a little bit of online research, I found a recipe that looked good and made some changes to it to make it "me".

I was on the phone with a good friend of mine who happens to be Cuban. I was TRYING to tell her about this dessert I wanted to make (note that TRYING is the keyword here).
Finally, after slaughtering the pronunciation of the word, "Sopapilla" by calling it So pa pill a...
she figured out what I was trying to say and told me how to say it properly. Keep in mind that in Spanish ll is pronounced ya. She said, "Its So pee YA", so I said "So pee ya, without emphasizing the YA at the end. After just about jumping through the phone and strangling me, she said, "You have to emphasize the YA at the end...so, finally I got it!

What I learned: When speaking to my friend, pay attention to how to pronounce words or I may end up hurt :-)

Here is the recipe for the Sopapilla Cream Cheese Bars

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are so funny, thanks for sharing!

Belinda @zomppa said...

Interesting...I've only had sopapillas in NM and they are these deep fried pastries...like little pillows...so good. Happy New Year, NC friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...