Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Steak Diane: Julia Childs dish


For two weeks now I have been putting off making this dish! Two weeks ago I decided to try Julia Childs recipe for Steak Diane, so I did a Google search and found it. Julias way of cooking is to have everything prepared ahead of time and to have all ingredients needed sitting right next to the stove so that they there when you need them.
I am a clean freak! I do not like a mess in my house at all. So, for me to place every ingredient I needed out on my kitchen counter next to the stove was a REAL stretch! But I did it, none the less.

Last night, I made the Steak Diane. I do not eat red meat. So, when I saw from the recipe that I only needed to sear the steaks for 30 seconds on each side, I grew concerned. After I made the sauce in the pan, I was instructed to put them back in for about 1 minute. I really thought the meat would be totally RAW inside! I got a little nervous.
My husband called to let me know he was on his way home and I told him about my concern. He said as long as it was not well done it would be fine. So, my tension eased up quite a bit after he told me that.

I made mashed potatoes and salad along with biscuits to go with the dish. I ate the salad and potatoes as well as some biscuits. I took the sauce from the meat and covered my potatoes with it. It was fabulous!!! In place of cognac and wine, I used red cooking wine in the sauce.
The meat was very pink inside but not red...apparently just the way my husband likes it! Thank God!

Lesson learned: Feel the fear and do it anyway! :-)

3 comments:

Cooking Mama said...

You should make up a recipe similar to this and call it Steak Deanna. :)

Mari said...

Hi there Deanna, this looks delicious! I will i a try.

Janice said...

I can't believe you didn't try the meat. I couldn't have resisted!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...