I am a member of Twitter Moms, you can find a link to their website to the right of my blog as well. They are having a contest that I have decided to enter! Here is a link to the contest and rules.
I watched a video that taught about the canned food process. It was very informative. I learned the following facts from the video:
- As adults, we should consume 25-35 grams of fiber per day
- There is a 7 step cleaning process to canning beans
- Beans do not spoil
- Beans are fat free and high in fiber
- Canned vegetables are at their peek freshness when they are canned
- Canned pumpkin has 3 times more vitamin A, than a fresh cooked pumpkin does
- Don't forget to recycle your cans! They are used over and over again!
One of my favorite recipes that contains canned beans and tomatoes is my chili recipe:
To print this chili recipe, please click here: Chili recipe
- 1-2 pounds of ground meat, beef, turkey or chicken
- 1/2 large onion or 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 3 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp each: pepper, salt and garlic powder
- 1 tsp honey
- 3 shakes of hot sauce
- 1 small package chicken bullion
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 1, 6oz can tomato sauce (optional)
- 1 can each: kidney beans, northern white beans, baked beans, black beans and chili beans
- 1 can butter beans (optional)
- Olive oil
Brown onion and garlic in olive oil. (about 4 minutes)
Add meat and brown. (If you are not adding meat add browned onion and garlic into crockpot.)
Add all canned ingredients into crockpot. Add all spices. Stir.
Cook on low for about 6 hours. Or cook on high for 4 hours.