Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy Saint Patricks Day! (Irish soda bread recipe)


Pinch, pinch if you are not wearing green today!

Remember I wrote about the Irish soda bread I made the other day? Well, today for the occasion itself I am posting the pictures and the recipe.
It is really easy to make! I added a glaze to mine to give it an extra sweet zip. My husband prefers it this way :)

Irish Soda Bread Recipe

I caught a lot of slack for making this bread, since I am Italian and I have a funny story about that to share with you:
When I was in the 4th grade, I lived in New Jersey and went to a Catholic school. I remember it was Saint Patrick's Day and we were allowed to dress down. We wore uniforms so to say we could dress down means that we could wear our regular clothes and leave our uniforms at home.
It was always a big deal!
So this particular day I wore a pair of pants and a pink t-shirt. It was my moms t-shirt. So, off I went to school.
My class was standing in the Church after we had a service and we were all standing in the isle as the priest, Father Pat (who happened to be Irish) came walking down to exit the Church. He looked at me and then read my shirt. Then he looked me in the eye and said, "I can't believe you wore that shirt today."
Not knowing what it said, I looked down and read it! To my shock it said, "Proud to be Italian"! I should have known...it was my moms shirt!

Lesson learned: Read your clothes before leaving the house!

3 comments:

My Little Space said...

Haha...you're wearing your mom's shirt! Anyway, Happy St. Patrick's Day! Have a nice day!
Cheers, Kristy

Vegetable Matter said...

You gave me quite a giggle with your story. I still remember getting pinched in elementary school for not wearing green, so I told my boys to wear green this morning. They wear uniforms too which don't include green, so we went with green underwear. Hope it works for them!

My Little Space said...

Deanna, I have a little soemthing for you. Please feel free to stop by and collect them home! Cheers.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...